Try it!

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Take it while it's there

Normally, I am not one to leave money on the table. If there are hours available, I work them. Most temps do (though by no means all). This project has been a little different lately. Last couple weeks, we've had a 60 hour cap, which is no big deal, since 60 hours is pretty close to the perfect project under normal circumstances. Two things make this one not normal, though. First, we don't get time and a half over 40 hours. We get a good rate, and the gross at 60 hours matches what it would be at what is right now the standard rate with time and a half over 40. Still, when those hours over 40 are at the same rate as before, the incentive is lower.

The second factor is more important, though, and much more limiting. We are capped at 10 hours a day. To get to 60, you have to work at least one weekend day, and that assumes you got in 10 Monday through Friday and are willing to completely kill one of your weekend days. Thus far, I have not been so willing. I was planning to go in today, but instead I slept until noon, went and saw The Dark Knight Rises and then cooked General Tsu's chicken and watched Zombieland. Not gonna lie - enjoyed it a lot more than I would have working. Would the extra money be nice? Yes, but I gave up 50 percent less than I would have at overtime rates. Not sure why firms and/or clients don't realize this. If they let me get 60 hours in five days, they'd get 60 hours out of me and end their project sooner (meaning, of course, cheaper). Shortsighted.

No comments: