Try it!

Monday, July 15, 2019

Heavy-Metal Knitting? Wow.

Never really thought this was a thing, but apparently it is, at least in Finland. Bands from nine countries took part in the competition (OK, so maybe not much of a thing), vying for the title of, um, I'm not sure what:
Armed with needles and a yarn of wool, teams of avid knitters danced to the deafening sounds of drums beating and guitars slashing at the first-ever Heavy Metal Knitting World Championship in eastern Finland.
With stage names such as Woolfumes, Bunny Bandit and 9'' Needles, the participants shared a simple goal: to showcase their knitting skills while dancing to heavy metal music in the most outlandish way possible.




Never really thought about this much. I mean, I've thought about heavy metal -- not a big fan -- and I've thought about knitting -- don't knit -- but I've definitely never thought about the two together. I don't know if that makes me a Luddite or what. Anyway:
Thursday's competition saw participants from nine countries, including the United States, Japan, and Russia, put on inspired performances full of theatrics, passion and drama and the jury struggled to agree upon a winner.
Finally, it was a Japanese performance by the five-person Giga Body Metal team that clinched the title with a show featuring crazy sumo wrestlers and a man dressed in a traditional Japanese kimono.
So good for them, I guess.

No comments: