Try it!

Friday, December 7, 2012

Remembering Pearl Harbor

Today is the 71st anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that ushered the United States into World War II. Until 9/11, it was the worst foreign attack on US soil, with 2,335 soldiers, sailors and Marines killed, 68 civilians killed, and 1,178 wounded. A pretty good chunk of the Pacific Fleet was damaged or destroyed -- ultimately, only the USS Arizona and the USS Utah were total losses -- and nearly 200 airplanes were destroyed on the ground. Unlike after 9/11, there was no talk of chickens coming home to roost or wondering why they hated us or what we'd done to provoke them.

When I was young -- first grade, I guess -- one of our neighbors was a retired Navy man named Elmer Shoenfelter. He was aboard the Pennsylvania, which was in dry dock during the attack. I was already something of a history nut and was in awe that I knew someone who was present at such an historic event. As is so often the case with veterans, he wasn't one to talk about it much, but he showed me the pictures he had. I don't know if the Navy gave the official pictures to veterans of the attack or if he got them some other way, but the pictures were the ones you'll find these days if you do a search online for Pearl Harbor images. The Pennsylvania is the battleship behind the two jacked-up destroyers.




Later, during high school, we were stationed in Hawaii. I used to go to the Arizona Memorial a lot, and sometimes a friend and I would go fishing off the pier on Ford Island where the USS Maryland was moored, right next to the memorial. I'd think about Mr. Shoenfelter sometimes and wonder what it looked like back in his day. I can tell you this -- visit the memorial if you ever get the chance. It is a breathtaking and humbling experience.


I think Pearl Harbor Day has faded in significance for many, maybe even most, people. I think that's wrong. The day should serve as a reminder of two things: the world is a dangerous place, and no matter what you think you know, you don't know when, where or how that danger might manifest itself. Nations that forget those things don't fare well.

For an excellent post from last year's anniversary, go here.

No comments: