Try it!

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Yeah, I saw it

There was a rocket launch tonight from Wallops Island, a NASA facility on the Eastern Shore in Virginia, that was visible from certain East Coast locations, including where I live. NASA released this helpful chart to let you know if you might be able to see the launch.


The launch was supposed to take place at 11:27 pm Friday night, so I went out at the appropriate time and, yeah, I saw it. Just and orange dot on the horizon moving in a curved path. Cool, I guess. The NASA descripition of the mission didn't exactly rock my world:
LADEE – or the Lunar Atmosphere Dust Environment Explorer – will orbit Earth then cruise to the moon, where it will gather data on the lunar atmosphere and to see whether dust is lofted into moon’s sky.
Anyway, still the only rocket-to-the-moon launch I've ever seen from any distance. So, cool.

No comments: