Try it!

Monday, August 7, 2017

I went to The Farm today

OK, so it was yesterday, because I am slow to post, but anyway, there it is. The Farm is proving to be both very rewarding and a little discouraging. Several crops are doing well -- most, really -- including the early crops such as peas, lettuce, Swiss chard and kale. Others have done well, but below expectations, such as the potatoes, onions and garlic. Others, like the beans, okra and carrots, have blown up and been great. Still others, such as the squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes, are not setting the world on fire but have time to recover. Not sure what is going on with those crops. Hope we can turn them around.

In any event, I went to The Farm yesterday and did some harvesting. Here is what we got.

The corn is growing nicely. I expect a harvest se=ometime around the end of September:


Okra coming in well, producing big fruit:


And more on the way:


Beans like you wouldn't believe:


Second-crop kale and Swiss chard, but I am not convinced:


Yes, I brought in a boatload of beans:


Also squash, zucchini, garlic and our first tomato:


The carrots come from thinning the field; can't wait for the actual crop:


The peppers are starting to come in. These are drying as we speak:


All in all, I am not unhappy with the garden. Hoping some of the crops improve, but I guess we'll see. Deer are a big problem, and I am not allowed to deal with them the way I would like, alas. Anyway, I'll keep you posted.






No comments: