Try it!

Sunday, December 3, 2017

Tell me again why I should get a flu shot

Like most things government-run, the flu shot sucks. It always has, which is part of why I never get one -- and I never get the flu -- but apparently this year is really bad, as far as flu-shot-suckiness goes:
A new study shows Australia experienced an increase in influenza-related hospitalizations and deaths over the winter compared to last year. The research, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, suggests the vaccine in Australia had a success rate of just 10 percent.
Officials in the United States and elsewhere worry such numbers suggest the Northern Hemisphere could be primed for a similarly bad flu season. That could spell trouble should this year's flu vaccine prove as ineffective as last year's.
The same vaccine that was deployed in Australia is being used in the United States.
Yeah, that sounds like success to me. The sad part is, the flu vaccine pretty much always sucks. This year, apparently, it just sucks worse. I don't know why people bother. Just ask yourself -- does the government ever do anything else right? So why should the flu vaccine be different?

No comments: