Try it!

Friday, September 21, 2012

What we have here is a failure to communicate

Just sat through the technical training session for the review platform we'll be using on this project. Six veteran temps, not a single one of us had even heard of the platform before. Not usually a good sign. It either means 1) the platform sucks, or b) it is so cheap that the firm couldn't resist using it, which usually means that both 1) and b) apply. We'll find out, I guess.

The training was not encouraging.  I think the platform will be easy enough to code with, but the training touched on actual coding for about 45 seconds. Mostly the trainer (speaking to us by phone while demonstrating on a projection screen from a computer remotely controlled by him) went on about all the various search and folder features and all kinds of nifty stuff we could do that we don't need to do. All we heard was "Boolean blah blah blah folder blah blah blah public blah blah blah shared blah blah blah private blah blah blah. Any questions?"

What I should have said:

"I don't do Boolean. I'm not here to do searches. I'm here so that you can put shit in front of me, I code it until it's gone, and you put more shit in front of me and I code that until eventually everything is coded. I don't need nuance, I don't need nifty features, I need my project manager to have administrative rights so he can batch documents for us and put them in front of us to code, and I don't have that. Boolean that, pal."

Didn't say that. Which means we're at an impasse for the moment.

No comments: