Try it!

Monday, July 2, 2018

So, I made it to The Farm this weekend

Operations at The Farm are much more limited this year because of the copious amounts of rain we had in March and April, as well as in the first half of May. No potatoes, no onions. Barely got the peas in, and they did not do well because rain kept me from putting up a trellis. Finally, we are getting consistent sunshine, though. The tomatoes are doing well. Other crops also are coming along nicely. For instance:

The beans are doing well. This is the first crop, which I harvested on Saturday:


It should keep producing for a few weeks. I put in a third crop Saturday, and the second crop is coming along well. Meanwhile, the chard continues to produce:


Kale is going gangbusters, although I think the heat will kill this off soon:

 
 One of the side effects of the poor weather early in the spring was that I was not able to prepare beds for squash and zucchini, among other plants. Couldn't till the ground. Anyway, two weeks ago I planted two squash and two zucchini plants in the old bed, without tilling. Saturday, I had to make things right. There these plants were, in the middle of a bunch of grass:



I had to dig out an area of dirt around the plants then fill in with topsoil:


Looks good, actually:


Anyway, we might be on a more normal course at this point. We have okra, carrots, more beans, and tomatoes in. We also have more room for other crops, so we'll see what we put in the ground in coming weeks. Stay tuned.

No comments: