Try it!

Friday, August 30, 2013

Actual temp conversation of indeterminate number

Several of the temps on this project have a long-standing arrangement where they go get breakfast shortly after arrival -- in other words, once they're on the clock. These folks have been on the project since it started almost two years ago, so they have some routines. This morning, one of those routines was disrupted, leading to the following conversation:

Temp 1: Mike, did you really turn down going to breakfast with us because it was too early, then go get breakfast 5 minutes after we got back?
Temp 2: I think you're on the feces list, here.
Temp 3: (to Temp 2) I'm always on that list. (To Temp 1) Watching him (referring to Temp 4) eat made me hungry.
Temp 2: That's weird. Watching him eat always kills my appetite and makes me want to hide my fingers.
Temp 4: And makes you want to avert your eyes.
It played better live. Maybe it was a location joke -- you had to be there. But I found it interesting how temps will fall into real-job routines if the job goes on long enough. These folks have been working together -- and going to get stuff to eat together -- for almost two years. Sure, it could end tomorrow, but for today, these guys have settled into the routines that you see among people with "real" jobs. I find it interesting. Maybe I'm easily amused.

No comments: