Try it!

Monday, August 26, 2013

Sometimes it takes a lion-tamer

Dealing with temps is not always easy. Not all temps, just the ones who gave us the reputation we have. If you've been reading this blog, you know what I mean. If you have not, neither one of us has the time for an explanation. You should consider reading old posts to catch up.

In any event, I was having a conversation today with another long-time contract attorney, and he was lamenting the fact that he all-too-frequently encounters other temps he knows while riding the Metro home at night and they ask him very pointed questions about whatever project he is on at the time. Apparently, this had happened to him yet again the night before, and the following conversation ensued:

Other Temp: This guy was asking me really specific questions about the project. I kept telling him, I can't answer that. You know I can't tell you that. He kept on. Anybody could hear. The partner from the firm was probably sitting in the next seat, waiting to see how I would answer. 

Me: You're taking the wrong approach. This never happens to me. I just ask them, "why are you talking to me? What did I do to make you think I want you to talk to me? Tell me, so I can stop doing it." After that, I really don't have a lot of problems with that kind of thing.

Other Temp (speaking to other temps in the room): He really does that. He takes no prisoners.

I guess this makes me an asshole. But we work in a profession with strict rules about confidentiality. Being on the bottom rung of the ladder doesn't change those rules. I have no patience for a temp who wants me to ignore those rules where anyone can hear, to the possible detriment of my law license. While my approach might make me an asshole, it also keeps other temps from striking up work-related conversations with me on the Metro. So I view that as net positive. Not only do I not want to talk about work -- one of the few good things about temping is that you don't have to think about it at all once you leave the job each night -- I sure as hell don't want to talk about it with other temps.


No comments: