Try it!

Friday, January 10, 2014

Is it hot in here, or is it just . . . hot in here?

The first nine months or so I was on the project, the room I am working in (one of four large, interconnected rooms containing this project) was fairly cold. Frigid, even. Which is great, because people who didn't like it put on sweaters, but people who didn't mind and found the temperature much more conducive for work were able to just cruise right along, thankful for the low temperature. Good AC can be hard to come by in Temp Town, and you realize how much good AC is worth when you put 20 people and 20 computers, all of them putting out heat, in a relatively confined space. It can get a little warm pretty fast.

Naturally, this being Temp Town, about three months ago some asshole ruined things and complained it was too cold. I suspect it was the woman who still wraps up in a Snuggie or whatever those TV-watching blankets are called, even though it is hot as sin. Doesn't matter who it was, though, because she got results: the agency turned up the heat in our room. (There is another of the four rooms that remains frigid, but the people there are too smart to complain and people who are cold bundle up.) Now our room is fucking boiling.

After several consecutive days where it seems that is was even warmer than usual, one of the guys brought in a digital thermometer today. He set it out, first at the front of the room, but later at the back where circulation is poor (and where I sit). Today was actually relatively comfortable compared to the rest of the week. Nonethless, the temperature for most of the day in the room was 79 degrees, dropping to 78 after some folks went home for the day. I'm pretty sure we were over 80 for each of the first four days of the week.

So, whatcha gonna do in a situation like this? Only one thing to do. When the temperatures get tropical, my wardrobe gets topical. This is the shirt I wore today as a statement:


Mrs. Wolves hates it when I wear aloha shirts, but when I was in high school, this was considered dress wear. She already threw out my ugliest one (ugly is good with aloha shirts), but I still have a couple left. I found the one she tried to hide. This one is new. In any event, if the agency wants to recreate the temperature, if not the atmosphere, of a tropical resort, I'm ready to play along.

No comments: