Try it!

Monday, January 20, 2014

So, a Broncos-Seahawks Super Bowl

I'm already planning the game food menu. Looks pretty good, but you'll have to stay tuned to find out what it includes. Watched both games today. Didn't really give a shit who won, but the Seahawks win frees me to root for the Broncos. Normally, I root for the NFC team regardless of who it is. This has forced me to root for the Cowboys, the Vikings and the Bears, all of whom I hate, but that's the way it is.

However, I'm not really rooting for the NFC -- I'm rooting for the old NFL, the teams that were in the NFL before the merger with the AFL. Since the Colts, Steelers and Browns (not the current Browns, who are an AFC expansion team, but the original Browns, who are now the Ravens) were NFL teams before they were moved to the AFC for numerical balance, I am allowed to root for them.  Is that complicated enough? Gets worse.

The Seahawks originally were an AFC expansion team, but got moved to the NFC during realignment. They have no ties to the original NFL. Thus, I don't have to root for them when they represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Of course, the Seahawks historically suck, so the only other time the issue came up was Super Bowl XLI (is that 41) My Roman numerology is not good.), when the Seahawks played the Steelers. The Steelers are an original NFL team, the Seahawks are not, so I was able to root for the Steelers instead of the Seahawks. Which was good, 'cause I just don't fucking like the Seahawks.

Update: Yes, this means I am rooting for the Broncos. Maybe if they win, Peyton Manning will take his massive forehead and go home to Louisiana for good.

No comments: