Try it!

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Jeez, Louise, I hate being right

When they announced a cut in Friday hours last week, I worried that the project might not have the legs everybody seems to have thought it did. No defiitive word yet, but my pessimism might be well-placed. The law firm for the new owners of the company is getting a presentation from the lawyers from the old company on options on what to do with this document review. I don't know what the options being presented are, or who favors what, but I know this: the only possible options are leave the review as it is (same number of people, 60 hours a week max); cut the hours; cut the people; end the review until there are new developments in the case.

I think the first and last options are the least likely. So we sit here not knowing what is going on. If I had to bet, I would bet on the review continuing with the same number of people at 50 hours. Alas, I was not consulted, so no one knows what the fuck is happening. The project might be over, it might go for years.

The whole situation has entered the swordfish scenario:
A document review project is like a swordfish on the hook. At first, it's running strong and fast, no end in sight. Soon, though, it starts to get tired, and it starts leaping out of the water, thrashing around in the air and generally getting chaotic. Then, out comes the gaff hook, and the swordfish is on the deck of the boat, almost done. There is still more thrashing around, more chaos, and with that sharp sword-like bill, somebody is bound to get hurt.
And then the damn thing is just dead.
This swordfish might have a lot of life left in it. But it sure is acting sluggish at the moment.

No comments: