Try it!

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Not sure I can file for workers' comp on this one

I recently suffered a very unusual work-related injury. Normally, temps who claim to get hurt at work are lying talking about repetitive motion injuries, tendonitis, carpal tunnel shit, stuff like that. Not me, baby. I am going much more exotic. And I'm not lying.

This gig sucks. It is boring. I fall asleep at my desk a lot, especially if I lean back in my chair. This is partly a product of working 60 hours a week, and partly a product of this work is boring as shit. Pick the explanation you like, I am falling asleep at my desk. I am not alone. But I digress.

Several times a day, I will relax in my chair, lean back and, inevitably, fall asleep. Maybe I'm narcoleptic. I don't know. But when I fall asleep, however briefly, I wake up almost immediately. When I fall asleep, naturally, my body relaxes and I start to try to go horizontal and become one with the floor. When I snap back awake -- this whole process takes less than a second, I think -- I pop back to an upright position. Enter the work-related injury.

I seem to have strained an abdominal muscle. No shit, repeatedly falling asleep in my chair and snapping back into wakefulness has resulted in a work-related muscle strain. The muscle that would get sore if I did a lot of sit-ups --one reason I don't do a lot of sit-ups -- hurts like a motherfucker when I sit up. Found that out a couple days ago when I tried to sit up to get out of bed. Ouch. I'm pretty sure that I can't get workers' comp for this just because I would die of embarrassment filing the claim. That doesn't mean it doesn't hurt. But is falling asleep work-related?

Actually, in Temp Town, it is.


No comments: