Try it!

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Crop update

Not an update on my gardening efforts, but about the actual farm that is next to where I live. Last year, as you may recall, Farmer John (whose name, as far as I know, is not John, but work with me, people) planted winter wheat and then soybeans for fall harvest. Most of the big fields in our area seem to be in wheat this year, but Farmer John has gone with corn:


I love the symmetry of a corn field. Terrain here forces Farmer John to do interlocking planting patterns. This is the field looking south:


And this is the field looking north:


Farmer John has another field across the road to the east (actually, you can see part of it at top right in this photo -- the road is hidden by the brush line at top right), and a third across the road to the south. All are in corn. It'll be feed corn, not Silver Queen or some other people corn. Lotta dairy and beef cattle operations around here to sell feed to. Not sure which I'd rather do -- a hard life, either way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once you've worked as a farmer, nothing else is considered work.