Try it!

Monday, June 9, 2014

Death of a project

My Hobbesian project has come to an end and, true to form, it was, like "the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short." Sound harsh? I was in my own office, forced to work 40 hours over 5 days -- that covers nasty, solitary, poor and, in my opinion, brutish -- and, of course, it is over after less than two weeks. That might be a little unfair, because I think the project would have gone for several more weeks, perhaps as many as five or six, but I'm the one who made it short. Yeah, I jumped. I am starting a new project that is supposed to have unlimited overtime. Important to remember Rule No. 1 when you hear that, but even though they're lying, there should be lots of overtime, which is good. Because the project, like all projects, is likely to be nasty and brutish, might be short and, because I'll be working with temps whose names I won't bother to learn, solitary. Short is relative, I suppose. This one is supposed to be about two months. In Temp Town, that isn't all that short, but in the real world, it is, so judge it as you will. If there is lots of overtime, though, it won't be poor, and that's the only Hobbesian judgment that matters in Temp Town. The rest are givens. Hobbes could have been a Temp.

No comments: