Try it!

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Liberals versus conservatives, kitchen edition

I had a device used to fry bacon in the microwave. It got dropped, landed on a corner and cracked. Since it would no longer keep the bacon grease from leaking out, it was useless to me and I tossed it. I still had a similar device, only this one is round. It quickly became apparent that in a bacon-intensive household such as this one, two such devices were needed.

Not one to leave a need unmet, I went to a major national chain's local store that sells products for the kitchen, bedroom bathroom and, um, beyond into other stuff. They had exactly one type of device designed for cooking bacon in the microwave. (Actually, they literally had only one device period, a single example of the only type they offered.) I was unimpressed, as it looked like a Rube Goldberg machine:


Apparently it involved driving a spear through the bacon to cook it hanging on its side. This sounded like something that would take all day to set up. So I went to a mass-market store that liberals love to hate -- oh, fuck it, I went to Walmart. For considerably less than half what the other unworkable device cost, I bought this:


It is a clone of the bacon microwaver I already had and like (not the square one that broke). It is indestructible and easy to use. Conservatives love things that are inexpensive, easy to use and get the job done, be it in the kitchen or government. Liberals like bells and whistles and a big show, and fuck whether it actually works, or costs too much, or any of that shit, as long as it showcases their good intentions. Well, while a liberal is trying to microwave his bacon in that other thing, I will have long since finished eating the bacon I cooked in my new bacon microwaver. The same approach works with government, too -- simpler, less and cheaper is better. Word.

No comments: