Try it!

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Proof that people who follow soccer have a tenuous grip on reality

There are people at work who actually give a shit about what happens in the soccer World Cup. I'm not talking about the wannabees. The room where the internet terminals are also has a widescreen TV, tuned to maybe ESPN, something showing soccer, Wimbledon and the Tour de France, which apparently spent three days as the Tour de England. But I digress. When the game between Argentina and the Netherlands came down to penalty kicks -- why play for two fucking hours and then settle the matter by playing a different game? -- a bunch of people crowded into the internet room to watch. One woman, whose aquaintance I have avoided with great vigor, said of the crowd, "Hey, after all, it only happens every, how many years?" I closed out my online stuff, said to her, "Big fan, huh?" and left the room. Presumably, somebody won the game after I left.

Anyway, dipshit non-fans who hope to appear to be fans and, thus, be hip are not the point of this. I was in the kitchen before the game and overheard a temp on the phone say something along these lines"

Soccer-loving Temp: I presume you're going to watch the game? Well, when they pan the beach -- you know, Copacabana -- which I know they will do repeatedly, keep an eye out for Tomas. He's there and will be on the beach."

Yeah, Tomas and about a gazillion other people, right? He should be easy to spot. Does watching soccer rot your brain?

No comments: