Try it!

Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Lord farms in mysterious ways; Update!

Update: Added photo at the bottom.

Went to the farm today, and when I got there, my farming partner was just setting up the deer fence for the squash bed. In other words, he had already tilled the bed I was not looking forward to tilling. Thank you, Lord.

Anyway, religious experiences aside, we got a lot done on the farm today despite uncooperative weather.The forecast called for afternoon thunderstorms, so I got there early, shortly after 1 pm, but already the skies were ominous.

Looking southwest:


And looking northwest:


Since our weather comes from the south and west, I was hoping that the front line already being to the northwest was a good sign. It wasn't.

So first, I checked our existing crops. The asparagus looks good:


And the beans are popping up:


The spinach and radishes are solid:


And the potatoes are coming up:


The onions, carrots and strawberries are, as you know, coming in well, so I didn't take more pictures of those today. Perhaps later.

Anyway, I got to the farm, my partner was setting the posts for the deer fence around the squash bed:



Once he had them positioned, he was happy to let me drive them into the ground. He has a device that looks like what SWAT teams use to bust down doors. Fortunately, this device is used only for good:


So I drove the stakes into the ground:


Next week, we will put in the squash and zuchinni and put up the fencing. But not today. This wasn't the reason we didn't plant those things today, but it so happens that the skies opened up:


It actually dumped on us twice. As soon as it appeared the first thunderstorm was done, I went out to continue working. It almost immediately began raining at least as hard as before. Jeb and I both got really, really wet. Fortunately, wet is a transient state. Befor the rain started, I had positioned some more peppers for planting. They got seriously pummeled by the rain:


They got planted OK, though:


Next week, we will put in the zukes, cukes and squash. After that, we go into weed-and-feed mode for about two months before harvest time comes. I'll keep you posted. I know you can't wait.

Update: Almost forgot to add, we put up the string trellis for one of the beds of peas:


No comments: