Try it!

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

They all talk about you, down on the farm

The cows asked, the pigs asked, the horses asked too. Well, we got no livestock on our farm, no respect meant to Little Feat, but it is that time of year again. Saturday I went to do some farming with my friend who has a few acres. Put in some crops. Sorry it took so long for me to post about it, but here we go. Naturally, it would not be a trip to the farm if Jeb the Wonder Dog did not hang his head out the window. While this is nowhere near as scary as the scene in "Jurassic Park," Jeb is in fact closer than he appears:


But not like this:


So anyway, we got to the farm and Jeb had to buddy up with his fellow dogs:


Above, he bonded with Willie, the yellow lab, and Goose, the Irish terrier (I think). He also chilled alone with Willie:


After the initial canine contretemps, I got down to farming. My partner was off on a 100-mile bike ride (fool!), so I was on my own, dealing with stuff like this:


Apparently, when he went to mow the lawn (it's several acres, so he uses a tractors with a mower deck) he had to move some stuff out of the way and put it into the cucumber bed (above) and the squash and zuke bed (below):


Naturally, I shied away from the difficult stuff, since I was working alone that day. I planted a tomato plant (most of the others were already in, and we are still waiting for our cherry tomato plants):


I also put in some pepper plants. These were all hot peppers. The bell peppers (and probably more hot peppers) will go in this coming weekend):


I checked the onions. They looked good:


Finally accepting that I could avoid real work no longer, I attacked the cucumber bed, even though I couldn't get the tiller started, which means I had to hoe it manually. Nontheless, I cleared the junk, hoed the bed and got the deer fence up:


I left the squash bed alone. Maybe next week. In the meantime, they all talk about you down on the farm:


No comments: