Try it!

Friday, March 6, 2015

Yeah, another snow day

Despite the email telling us to just fucking show up, I took a snow day yesterday. I got up at 6 am and there was about an inch of snow on the ground, and it was really coming down. I figured I could get to work, but I might not be able to get home. I went back to bed. Sure 'nuff, when I got up again at 9, there was about 3 inches, and piling up fast. I stayed home and played board games with Cpl. Wolves and Marrying Into Wolves. Good fun. It kept snowing. At about 1 pm, it looked like this:


And this:


And this:


I shoveled the walk about then, and less than an hour later it looked like this:


When it finally quit at about 5 pm, I took out the old tape measure, and it looked a lot like we got 9 inches, maybe a little more:


Naturally, this meant that Cpl. Wolves had to get his ass out there and clear my car. Yeah, I helped, and we got both cars cleared and shoveled out so we could leave today -- me at 0 Dark 30, when the temperature was a balmy 1 degree, and him in the early afternoon to go to drill weekend with the mercury solidly in the high 20s. He is fairly likely to come home Sunday as Sgt. Wolves.



Early evening, a little more snow falling, but between the shoveling and liberal use of potassium chloride (good for the plants -- potassium is fertilizer) the walk stayed clear:


Wish I could say the same for the rest of the neighborhood. Walking Jeb the Wonder Dog last night was quite an experience. Deep snow, blocked sidewalks and cold as a motherfucker.

With a little luck, this is winter's last gasp. The guy I grow stuff with wanted to get started on The Farm this weekend -- need to build boxes for some beds and get all the beds in place and all soiled up -- but it looks like that won't happen, as we are under a whole bunch of snow,  and likely will be for a bit. We'll see how hard spring hits, but we should start getting posts from The Farm soon. Can't wait.

No comments: