Try it!

Monday, September 21, 2015

I feel like I should get some props

A few years ago, I read a story by some guy who tried to figure out whether conservative or liberal blogs had more profanity. Turns out that liberal sites at the time -- 2008 -- had 12 times as much profanity as conservative sites. Granted, I was not on the interwebs when this study was conducted, but I feel like I should get some credit, anyway.

The study only looked at the top 10 sites, so I wouldn't have been included anyway, unless they were looking at the top 10 sites that purport to be about contract attorneys, assuming that there are fewer than 10 such sites and this blog is still considered to be such a blog. This blog is, of course, about whatever I say it is about.

In any event, I know for a fact that I use way more profanity than any of the conservative blogs I know of. I feel like I could have given liberals a run for their money on the F-bomb question. Apparently, the leading conservative blogs of the time were not:
The results showed that online liberals tend to use profanity a lot more than online conservatives.
(Before I get further into the results, let me say that I am deliberately making a distinction between blogs that do not usually allow readers to make comments and those that do. This means that some sites, such as the popular Instapundit or Newsmax, were not included.)
Searching for Mr. Carlin’s seven words and some popular variants at the top 10 conservative Web communities yields about 70,000 results. That is dwarfed in comparison to the 1.9 million instances of profanity on liberal sites.
Things aren’t quite that clear-cut, however, since some Web sites have more pages than others. According to Google, the top 10 conservative sites have about 6 million pages, while the top 10 liberal sites have about 13 million.
Dividing the number of instances of profanity by the number of pages of the sites on which they appear, then multiplying the result by 100 yields what might be called a “profanity quotient.”
The top 10 liberal sites (Daily Kos, Huffington Post, Democratic Underground, Talking Points Memo, Crooks and Liars, Think Progress, Atrios, Greenwald, MyDD and Firedoglake) have a profanity quotient of 14.6.
The top 10 conservative sites (Free Republic, Hot Air, Little Green Footballs, Townhall, NewsBusters, Lucianne.com, Wizbang, Ace of Spades, Red State and Volokh Conspiracy) have a quotient of 1.17.
The author noted that Ace of Spades, one of my favorite blogs, accounted for almost all of the conservative cussing. Ace has toned things down in recent years, so there is a good chance that I am now the most foul-mouthed conservative on the interwebs. And yet I toil in obscurity. I demand some fucking recognition, damn it.



No comments: